Thursday 28 February 2013

Working on the stand for FMP

After my designer research I began to think about the shapes that have been used to create their designs. I began using some of my inspirations for my final major project of an oriental fan and the parasol, so using a half circle and a full circle. Using a heavy weight cord fabric I experimented by cutting randomly half circle shapes from this fabric in various sizes and seeing what I could create by using only these shapes by working on the stand.



Half circles I used 


 By manipulating the half circles by folding them from each point to create a full circle and building this up by layering various sizes together to create volume.



Using the largest of the half circles to cascade from the back to the front of the mannequin


Mixing a light weight sheer polyester (just to experiment with) however cutting a full circle and cutting a straight line to the circle centre, which makes the circle easier to manipulate. Also experimenting to see which weight fabric works best to create the structure that I would like for my designs.


 Manipulating by pinning the polyester sheer circle in order to create sculptures of new 3 dimensional shapes.





The above 3 images I have developed by layering and carefully thinking about placement and volume and what this what do to the silhouette. I really love these, I think they work really well and create interesting elements to the design.


Developing this look further by altering the placement of the circle piece on the bodice.


More manipulation to the half circles by creating 3 dimensional shapes on the front bodice



Manipulating the sheer light weight polyester to create a floral shape, however I think the sheer fabric is too light weight to achieve the structure that I would like.



Using 4 of the half circles of the same size and repeating and pinning onto the bodice meeting at the waistline and repeating below the waistline...further this design idea by then adding a draped heavy weight velvet piece in the shape of a much larger half circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment