Wednesday 17 April 2013

Look 1 - Development of attachments

Once I had cut out all the circle attachments and sewn them together, I needed still to make them firmer, with this I tried experimenting using starch, by spraying this onto the circles on both sides and ironing until the starch had dried. This did work and made the circles a lot firmer and gave me the quality that I desired for the applied circles.

Once I had starched all 6 of the circles that were to be applied to the main dress, I cut a straight line acorss half of the circle to the centre point, this allowed for more movement and ability to manipulate. 

Featured on her are 6 circles of 3 different circumferences, Circle - 1 being 48cm, Circle 2 - 70cm and Circle 3 - 110.5cm in circumference. I began playing with the placement of the circles and randomly pinning them to the main dress and seeing what I could achieve. 

With the smallest of the circles being placed at the top of the dress at the bustline and progressively moving onto applying the larger circles - There are 2 circles of each size.




First development of applying circle attachments - I think the shapes on this design make the overall look very round and I want to create various shapes with no set placement until I feel it looks ok.


I absolutely love this, I love the big sculptural bends and the manipulation the the applied circles.


The issue with this look is once I had pinned the applied circle in place and sewn to the main dress the outcome would look very different or would hold the same way as it had when pinned.


Another development idea of circle placement - I really like the randomness of the circle placements which has created a different look every time 



I like the overall design where not being able to see the main body of the dress which creates a great illusion of the entire design.


 Back view of Look 1


Side View

Side view with zip fastening

No comments:

Post a Comment